Butts and Boobs Move Over, Faces are Back
Butt and breast augmentation procedures are still some of the hottest cosmetic options around, but recently another area has been coming into focus in the cosmetic surgery arena. With more non-invasive options than ever before, cosmetic surgery patients are realizing they can improve the appearance of their face with minimal cost, discomfort and downtime. According to recent numbers from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, that realization is fueling new interest in facial procedures that can shave off years and sculpt the profile contour that allows patients to put their best face forward every day.
What the Numbers Show
Each year, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons releases statistics that serve as a snapshot of the current trends in the plastic surgery industry. In 2012, the organization found that a number of cosmetic procedures for the face actually increased, while popular procedures like breast and butt augmentation declined. While breast implants were still the most widely performed procedure in 2012, the number of surgeries performed declined by seven percent between 2011 and 2012.
At the same time, many procedures that enhance particular characteristics of the face increased in 2012. More invasive procedures like eyelid surgery and full facelifts both saw more action, while rhinoplasty (nose surgery) remained at the same high levels from the previous year. Approximately four percent more patients sought surgery to lift and reshape upper and lower eyelids, while six percent more patients went in for facelift procedures.
Minimally invasive procedures for the face saw the best growth of all. Botox and similar injections increased by eight percent, while dermal fillers increased by five percent. Other leaders in the cosmetic procedure market included microdermabrasion (up eight percent) and laser hair removal, with a four-percent increase. Chemical peels also became slightly more popular in 2012, with an increase of two percent in the number of procedures performed.
Reasons for the Shift
While no one can say for sure why the trends in cosmetic procedures shifted slightly in 2012, there are many possible reasons for the change, including:
- Increase in Baby Boomer Patients – While Gen X and Y patients had filled the offices of cosmetic doctors in the past to seek bust and butt enhancements, 2012 appeared to be a year for turning back the clock by baby boomers. This aging population turned to cosmetic procedures to maintain their youthful look into their retirement years. Instead of looking for bigger butts and boobs, this population wanted help erasing wrinkles and tightening sagging skin.
- More Non-Invasive Procedures – New procedures recently introduced to the cosmetic market offer stellar results with less invasive treatments. With a huge range of options in injections and laser procedures, patients can enjoy fast results with little discomfort or downtime afterward.
- Cost – The expense of procedures has been prohibitive for some patients in the past, since insurance rarely covers the cost of treatments done for purely cosmetic reasons. However, less invasive procedures often mean lower price tags as well, making that quick nip or tuck much more cost-effective than ever before.
- New Devices – In the past, laser skin procedures involved burning off top layers of dermis with a significant amount of discomfort and downtime. New laser tools now offer plenty of options in skin rejuvenation, with the ability to pinpoint the specific imperfections without damaging surrounding skin and tissue.
- Exposure – Daytime television and the Internet have provided additional insight into the cosmetic market by alerting prospective patients to many of the less invasive procedures available. As consumers are becoming more informed of their options, they are heading to the doctor’s office with specific procedures in mind.
As more baby boomers look to cosmetic procedures to maintain a younger appearance, some physicians predict these trends may continue in coming years. With more options in anti-aging treatments than ever before, it is becoming much easier to shave off years without invasive surgery. Now is the time to check out what’s new in cosmetic procedures, to see if a simple injection or skin rejuvenation treatment will give you the results you are hoping for.
For more information about that hottest cosmetic procedures today, contact one of our representatives at Plastic Surgery Portal. We can connect you with a qualified cosmetic doctor in your area who can make a thorough evaluation of your specific needs and recommend the best cosmetic treatments for you.
Featured Provider Near You
LightRx - Canton
Permanent Makeup: Once and Done?
Creating Dimples Through Cosmetic Surgery
Young Crowd Goes for Mini Lift Procedures
Turkey Neck Lift: Treatments For Loose Neck Skin
A Brief History of Rhinoplasty
On the Nose: A Rhinoplasty Rundown
Punk Goes Adult: Ear Lobe Reconstruction on the Rise
Lip Lift vs Lip Fillers
The Perks of a Fall & Winter Facelift
Venezuelan Women's Emphasis on Caucasian Features Boosts Rhinoplasty Numbers
Indians Undergoing Social Media Inspired ‘Facebook Facelifts’
Facial Geometry: A New Technique Realigns Boy’s Face
Plastic Surgery for a Permanent Smile Trending in South Korea
Innovative New Lower Eye Lifts
An Asian-American's Perspective on the Eyelid Surgery Trend
Butts and Boobs Move Over, Faces are Back
Can Forehead Lifts Cure Migraine Headaches?
Cheek or Buccal Fat Removal
Study: Chin Implant Surgery Numbers Skyrocketed in 2011
Cleft Chin Surgery
Cupid's Bow Lip Augmentation
Doctors Borrow Parts From Man's Leg to Repair Face After Firework Explosion
Epicanthoplasty Eyelid Surgery: What to Know
Eyelash Restoration Options
The 'Facelift Bungee': A $25 Botox Alternative?
Facelifts Give Job-Seekers An Edge
Facial Liposuction: An Introduction
Feather Lift: The Surgical Alternative
5 Rhinoplasty Myths Unveiled
Getting Rid of Undereye Festoons or Baggy Eyes
A Guide to Chin Augmentation: Costs, Risks, & Recovery
How Long Does a Lip Augmentation Last?
Injection Rhinoplasty: The Non-Surgical Nose Job
Lip Implants from Neck Muscles?
Long-Term Study Shows Patients Satisfied with Forehead Lift
Lower vs Upper Eyelid Surgery: Breaking Down the Differences
Madonna Lift: An Alternative to Eyelid Surgery?
Mag 5 Facial Surgery: Look 5 Years Younger in 5 Steps
Makeup Contouring to Replace a Nose Job?
Microtia Ear Reconstruction: An Introduction
Mid-Face Lifts Turn Back the Clock on Aging
QuickLift Facelift Surgery
Recycling Eyebags Into Cheek Lifts
Rhinoplasty Surgery: A Step By Step Guide
Secondary Facelifts: Corrective Surgery
Serdev Lift: The New Twist on the Thread Lift
Silhouette Lift: A Facelift Alternative
Silicone Perma Lip Implants
Study Estimates How Many Years Younger Facial Surgery Can Make You Look
Top 5 Reasons for a Rhinoplasty
Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty: An Introduction
VeraFil: Saline Lip Implants are Here
What is Facial Feminization Surgery?