How Long Does a Lip Augmentation Last?
Lip augmentation has become a popular procedure for enhancing lips by making them look fuller. The treatment can be performed through a number of methods today, from simple injections to surgical implants. While most patients prefer the less invasive injectable treatment, there is concern over how long the results will last before a touch-up treatment is required. PlasticSurgeryPortal has the information you’re looking for on lip augmentation to be sure your procedure lasts as long as possible.
Types of Lip Augmentation
The first factor that impacts the duration of lip augmentation is the type of injectable filler that is used. As a very general rule, patients can expect the following:
- Collagen-Based Fillers – These lip augmentation formulas come in two types; bovine and human collagen. Bovine formulas are created from collagen extracted from cows. While this type of filler tends to last longer than human collagen, there is also a higher risk for an allergic reaction from the formula. Human collagen is another popular option that typically lasts a minimum of three months.
- Autologen Fillers – This lip augmentation filler is actually extracted from the patient’s own skin, eliminating concern over allergic reactions. This type of filler is longer lasting than other types of collagen injections.
- Hyaluronic Acid-Based Fillers – These fillers, known by commercial names like Juvederm, consist of a clear gel containing hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance produced by the body to keep skin and lips hydrated and smooth. However, as the body ages, it produces less hyaluronic acid, which results in the appearance of fine lines and thinner lips. These lip augmentation formulas tend to last an average of around six months for most patients before the hyaluronic acid is reabsorbed by the body.
- Fat Injections – These lip augmentation procedures use the patient’s own fat, harvested from other areas of the body, to enhance the size and shape of the lips. This procedure lasts longer than other types of injections, but the procedure is more involved, since fat must also be harvested through liposuction.
- Artecoll and Silicone – These lip augmentation formulas are considered permanent, but they also carry a higher degree of risk than other lip treatments. Some of the potential side effects of these lip fillers include inflammation and hard, bumpy nodules around the lip area. Because of the risk, these lip augmentation formulas are not recommended as often.
Other Factors to Consider
There are other factors to consider when determining the duration of a lip augmentation procedure, including:
- The Age of the Patient – Younger patients tend to respond better to lip augmentation, because they still have natural hyaluronic acid in their system to maintain results. Patients over the age of 50 may want to consider additional treatment in the lower face area to support the lip area and make the injections last longer.
- Frequent Touch-Ups – Patients who get regular touch-ups may be able to go 12 months or more before requiring a full treatment to maintain results.
- Additional Procedures – Patients who get Botox at the same time they receive lip augmentation injections may be able to prolong the results of their treatment.
- Provider – It is very important to select a doctor who is experienced in lip augmentation for your own procedure. This professional will ensure a successful procedure and offer additional advice on how to make the treatment last as long as possible.
The duration of a lip augmentation injection greatly varies from patient to patient, but the majority of treatments last less than a year. If you decide lip augmentation is the right choice for you, it is important to prepare for the fact that you will need to go in regularly for treatment sessions to maintain your results, or opt for a more permanent implant procedure in the future. If you would like more information about lip augmentation options, contact us to schedule a private consultation with a cosmetic professional near you.
Permanent Makeup: Once and Done?
Creating Dimples Through Cosmetic Surgery
Young Crowd Goes for Mini Lift Procedures
Turkey Neck Lift: Treatments For Loose Neck Skin
A Brief History of Rhinoplasty
On the Nose: A Rhinoplasty Rundown
Punk Goes Adult: Ear Lobe Reconstruction on the Rise
Lip Lift vs Lip Fillers
The Perks of a Fall & Winter Facelift
Venezuelan Women's Emphasis on Caucasian Features Boosts Rhinoplasty Numbers
Indians Undergoing Social Media Inspired ‘Facebook Facelifts’
Facial Geometry: A New Technique Realigns Boy’s Face
Plastic Surgery for a Permanent Smile Trending in South Korea
Innovative New Lower Eye Lifts
An Asian-American's Perspective on the Eyelid Surgery Trend
Butts and Boobs Move Over, Faces are Back
Can Forehead Lifts Cure Migraine Headaches?
Cheek or Buccal Fat Removal
Study: Chin Implant Surgery Numbers Skyrocketed in 2011
Cleft Chin Surgery
Cupid's Bow Lip Augmentation
Doctors Borrow Parts From Man's Leg to Repair Face After Firework Explosion
Epicanthoplasty Eyelid Surgery: What to Know
Eyelash Restoration Options
The 'Facelift Bungee': A $25 Botox Alternative?
Facelifts Give Job-Seekers An Edge
Facial Liposuction: An Introduction
Feather Lift: The Surgical Alternative
5 Rhinoplasty Myths Unveiled
Getting Rid of Undereye Festoons or Baggy Eyes
A Guide to Chin Augmentation: Costs, Risks, & Recovery
How Long Does a Lip Augmentation Last?
Injection Rhinoplasty: The Non-Surgical Nose Job
Lip Implants from Neck Muscles?
Long-Term Study Shows Patients Satisfied with Forehead Lift
Lower vs Upper Eyelid Surgery: Breaking Down the Differences
Madonna Lift: An Alternative to Eyelid Surgery?
Mag 5 Facial Surgery: Look 5 Years Younger in 5 Steps
Makeup Contouring to Replace a Nose Job?
Microtia Ear Reconstruction: An Introduction
Mid-Face Lifts Turn Back the Clock on Aging
QuickLift Facelift Surgery
Recycling Eyebags Into Cheek Lifts
Rhinoplasty Surgery: A Step By Step Guide
Secondary Facelifts: Corrective Surgery
Serdev Lift: The New Twist on the Thread Lift
Silhouette Lift: A Facelift Alternative
Silicone Perma Lip Implants
Study Estimates How Many Years Younger Facial Surgery Can Make You Look
Top 5 Reasons for a Rhinoplasty
Ultrasonic Rhinoplasty: An Introduction
VeraFil: Saline Lip Implants are Here
What is Facial Feminization Surgery?